Friday, February 10, 2012

Embroidered Linen Skirt Pillow

Once upon a time, there was a lovely embroidered linen skirt from L. L. Bean.  It was bought by a college girl, who wore it and loved it.  One day years, oh years later, the girl's three year-old daughter gave herself a manicure in deep berry. When she showed Mommy she wiped her wet little fingers on the poor skirt.  The skirt was stuffed into the sewing cabinet where it languished for almost a year.  Then it was shipped to Hawaii and retrieved from the cabinet at last!  After a lengthy vacation and a makeover it is now living happily ever after as a pillow on the sofa.  The End.
The small pillow in the front was once the back of my skirt.  The pillow cover behind it is from Pottery Barn.
 
I got fancy and made this one with a zipper and flap closure instead of a simple envelope closure. I used this great tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew! that I bookmarked several months ago for just such an occasion. The zipper was so easy! The finish on the zipper and flap is beautiful.
 Here is a peek underneath the flap.  I made it the width of the flap according to the recommendations on the tutorial, but I think next time I will make it a bit narrower. Overall, I'm so impressed! Great instructions.

2 comments:

  1. that was a great story about the linen skirt! And it turned out beautifully as a pillow!
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ami, it's so nice pillow!! I like it! and I like your creations!
    let's be a friends! :)
    hugs from Russia,
    Masha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!