Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sleepy Friends Doll Quilt

This has been, by far, my favorite sewing project in quite some time! My grandfather made a wooden doll cradle for me when I was a little girl, and it needed new trimmings.  It's a simple little cradle held together with little wooden pegs. Given its age and sentimental value I thought it deserved some special TLC!


It was so fun to choose some sweet, girly fabrics for a little doll quilt to put in the cradle! I fussy cut some bears for the center. I like how the bright sunlight exaggerates the stitching puckers in the next photo.


There is a new reversible "mattress" and pillow in the cradle as well.  There are are little bears on one side and a pink and blue floral ticking stripes on the other.

I knew this was the perfect quilt for the project as soon as I saw it! The embroidery and quilt design are from Nana Company, one of my favorite sewing blogs.  I adapted the kitten's face just a bit and changed the layout of my blocks to suit my fabrics.  Mine is also slightly smaller than hers, so that it fits well in the cradle.


The pattern is so sweet! Her directions for making the quilt were easy to follow.  Check out Nana Company, if you haven't.  Amy's work is lovely and besides our shared name I discovered we have the same favorite online fabric shop when I found her blog last year. :)


I'm so pleased with how the project turned out! So is Ella, who has decided it is hers.  Her dolly, Daisy, is taking a nap in the cradle with music from my phone to lull her to sleep. :)

2 comments:

  1. it's absolutely adorable! love the fabrics you used and the hand stitching is perfect... xo amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel ;)May 10, 2012

    So adorable! I love the fabric and the little animals! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!