Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Summer Tote


I ordered some of this Michael Miller fabric several weeks ago.  When it came in the mail I couldn't wait to make something with it!





 The colors are vibrant and the pattern has so much going for it--a European village, retro cars and scooters, and ladies dressed in vintage style. I finally decided on using large pieces of it to decorate a canvas tote.





I think that this is the largest applique I have ever used.  Because of the loose, illustrated style of the pattern I decided to sew a "messy" straight stitch around the whole thing twice instead of using a blanket stitch and overlapping the edges.  




I put a large patch pocket and a scrap of the village scene on the other side. 





I thought about making it reversible and adding some embroidery to the outside. But, I didn't have a large enough piece of fabric that I fancied for the interior, and I was just too impatient to use my snappy new tote!  Here is a better shot of the handles -- so fun!




It's just right for a stack of piano books.  Or a beach towel and a Kindle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!