Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tea Towels

My kitchen was in serious need of some new dishtowels! I have always used flour sack towels for drying dishes, but I am tired of how they tend to warp and grow holes! At least mine do.  Maybe I wear them hard.  Anyway, I decided that this time I would embroider a set of the heavier, striped-border towels like those I remember in my grandma's kitchen.  Stuff that reminds you of Grandma's kitchen is always good stuff, right? Instead of making a matchy set, I used designs featuring some of my favorite things in the kitchen.


I drew the Dutch oven design and decided to stitch a red one (mine's blue!).  After the Dutch oven came a sundae:


Actually, ice cream is not my favorite. Not that I'll turn it down, but I really decided to do a sundae so that I could have the fun of stitching the different flavors, dribbly sauce, and the cherry on top! I drew the sundae as well. The paper version had words wrapping in an arc around the top of it, but I decided that was too much commitment for a dishtowel. ;-)


The third design is from Jenny Hart's book, Sublime Stitching.  I embroidered this lovely cake on a towel several years ago and liked it so much I decided to do it again, only bigger! I grabbed this one straight from the cupboard door where it was hanging...hence the brown smudges. Chocolate cake is definitely a favorite.  


The mixer in the final design is adapted freehand from the Everything Nice fabric I recently used for my new apron.  I added the silly pun.  Puns are good on dishtowels.  I also just like stitching words.




Four down, three to go!

1 comment:

  1. They are all cute! Great job on drawing your own designs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!