Wednesday, September 25, 2013

2013 Designer Mystery Block of the Month 1



When I saw the new Moda "Avalon" fabric line for the Block of the Month at Fat Quarter Shop earlier this year, I knew I would love it! I wasted no time in asking my husband to buy me an early birthday present that would keep on giving all year. ;-)

I have wanted to try making blocks with smaller pieces, but I never choose those designs because I know it would take me too long to complete them! This seemed like the perfect opportunity--one block a month is definitely manageable, and if each one is different then it won't get boring!

Unfortunately the blocks started arriving while we were still in the midst of our move, so I am behind schedule.  This first one is so pretty! I put it all together and then realized I sewed the borders around the main square skewed--the diagonal should be leaning toward the right to match the pattern.  But, I had taken one of them off three times to get the corner ex-act-ly perfect and one of the seam allowances was so slim that I was afraid taking it apart again would fray the fabric too much.  So, this block stays the way it is! The corners all match perfectly and it's pretty. Whew. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!