Sunday, June 15, 2014

Simple Granny Square Quilt






I made this granny square quilt for my daughter with this tutorial and fabric from Tasha Noel's "The Simple Life" collection. The tutorial was easy to follow and this quilt went together even more quickly because I included five blocks from the panel that coordinates with the prints. It was fun putting scraps and a fat quarter into the back in a more modern design.

To label it, I embroidered my daughter's name in the corner with perle cotton and made an appliqu├ęd patch for the back with cute scraps.  It has a pieced binding and I finished it simply by tying it with pink perle cotton #5. This is the first quilt I have finished by tying since my very first one. It's also the third quilt in a row that I've made that wouldn't work well with simple straight line quilting! I need to get better at planning that. :)

This cheery, summer-weight quilt is the perfect thing for my little girl who's sleeping on the upper bunk.  She helped pick the colors and insisted on blue flowers for the top (I was leaning toward white sashing and a blue floral border, but she knew it was hers so I let her pick her favorite). She loves it and it has already been washed several times into that comfy, wrinkly softness that is so wonderful in a homemade thing. I love finishing a project! I love seeing it loved even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!