Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mystery Block of the Month Top!!

I finally finished the top to my Block-of-the-Month project! I had most of it together, including these rather picky borders (first photo below), when I got to the next step and realized there were 100 flying geese waiting for me. I then hung the top (such as it was) over the stair rail to keep it from wrinkling and took a break.

After Christmas it suddenly hit me that if I didn't get busy I would be moving to California this summer with a partially-finished quilt top, and that seemed unacceptable. I moved into this house with the envelope for the first block in hand, and I wanted to finish it before we move out! 

The flying geese didn't take as long as I expected.  I had them done and the rest of the top sewn together within a few days. Why did I wait so long?

Here is the very first block:


 I originally had pieced it with the basket attached to the base in the wrong direction. I was going to leave it, but then I decided I had enough fabric to make another and do it right. So I did.

Here is my favorite:


Here is a close-up of the borders:


And here is the entire thing! It is handy having a 6 ft. 4.5 in.  quilt hanger in the house.


I was so excited (in all seriousness) that I was sort of hopping up and down looking at it and exclaiming, while my husband just kept saying, "Take it! Just take the picture!" Really, for someone who can do lots of pull-ups, you wouldn't think holding up a quilt for a few minutes would be that big of a deal. :)

I admired it some more and held it up (dragging more on the carpet) for my husband to admire, who listened to me explain how very hard it is to do all that piecing with complex borders and still keep the corners square, my goodness, and thank you, I do think it's lovely if I do say so myself. :)

I had planned to do it myself, but I really don't want to mess it up. I also think it deserves more quilting than a few straight lines.  So I folded it up carefully and smiled at it for a day when I walked by the stairs, and then I boxed it up with the batting and backing material to mail to this lovely, friendly lady who does gorgeous long-arm quilting.  Here is another BOM quilt she has finished for someone else. I can't wait!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!